Madagascar practical information:
– The Malagasy monetary unit is the Ariary (Ar). 1 € equals to 2800Ar
– The local language is Malagasy.
– The time zone is GMT + 3, 2 hours ahead of Paris in winter and 1 hour ahead in summer.
– Driving is on the right
– The metric system is in force
– The telephone network and the Internet are quite developed. It is not difficult to find a cybercafe to surf the Internet in big cities.
Voltage is usually 220V. The catches correspond to the European catches. Some (rural) areas only have electricity at certain times of the day.
Banks and ATMs can be found everywhere in the big cities, if you want to withdraw cash. If you have a Visa card, you can make withdrawals on all ATMs of Malagasy banks (BOA, BFV-SG, BNI-Crédit Agricole and BMOI). If you have a Mastercard, only the counters BNI-Crédit Agricole accept it.